511NY Transit Trip Planner generates an itinerary based on your request entries, starting with the first leg of your trip to your final destination. The Transit Trip Planner Itinerary includes the time that is needed for the first boarding point to your final destination and strives to produce an itinerary with the least amount of walking distance when calculating an itinerary for the fewest transfers request.
Example Itinerary Result and Descriptions:
Each itinerary begins with a description of the selected starting point location where you board your first transit vehicle, (which is prefaced by “Depart…”). The itinerary results then show each leg of the trip, followed by the description of your final destination, as entered on the itinerary request. The following is an example of an itinerary result:
The itinerary results include:
- Get the Next Best Itinerary.
- Walking Map: displays the walking route based on your selected trip origin and destination, including any transfer points.
- Revise Trip: an option for creating a new Itinerary.
- Return Trip: review and submit the return trip from your destination to your origin.
- Onward Trip: create another trip that leaves from your original itinerary’s destination to a new destination
- New Trip: create a new itinerary request
- Carrier: a link to the selected Carrier website and to view additional carrier details.
1. What if there is no transit stop within 1/2 mile of the starting location?
511NY Transit Trip Planner examines all transit stops within 1/2 mile of your starting location. If there is no transit stop within this distance, it will select the next nearest stop within five miles of your starting location. The calculated itinerary may begin at any of these possible transit stops. If the recommended itinerary result does not provide your anticipated local Carrier to one of the segments of your trip it is possible that the specific carrier may not yet have their service data included in the 511NY database. A listing of currently participating carriers is available at the Carrier drop-down list.
2. I’m unfamiliar with the area. Will the Transit Trip Planner show me where the closest stop is and tell me how to get there?
Yes. When viewing your itinerary click on the walking map icon. Another window will open a map window showing the starting point of your trip and where you will pick up the service as well as provide you with detailed directions (which can also be printed).